Working with us you’ll be at heart of the technological revolution of one the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from widgets, desktop or mobile casinos and betting sites… just to name a few. We process 500 online Sportsbook bets per second each Saturday, that’s the same as orders processed by Amazon UK, on its busiest day of the year. We deal with more than 20 million users and 160 terabytes of data daily. Impressed? You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
We bet, we game and we love our tech. This role will give you the opportunity to find out how we’re setting the standard with our public cloud migration.
We’re focused on developing the platform using the best of public cloud technologies, combined with in-house technology, and we need talented, people who love everything about delivery to make a difference to our output and improve our customers’ betting experience.
It’s a hands-on role and you won’t ever be sat there twiddling your thumbs. We’re looking for a curious cloud engineer who wants to push things forward, faster and smarter, never settling for second best. And if you’re anything like us, you won’t rest until a problem is solved.
Your tech skills are vital, of course, but it’s just as important that you can communicate well with our engineers and other teams around you. Your colleagues may sit ten steps away, or they may be in Gibraltar or Krakow, (or sitting at their kitchen table with their cat) but you’ll need to work closely and effectively with everyone and make yourself heard.
We need someone who will contribute to the design and planning of William Hills Cloud technologies, making best use of Internal and external offerings. Working closely with other Engineers, Architects, and Project Managers to provide relevant training, mentoring, and guidance outside of your direct team.
We welcome applications from William Hill colleagues who have a passion for learning new skills, are looking for a new challenge, and want to contribute to an exciting long term AWS / Cloud roadmap. It's essential that as a minimum, you have Linux skills, you are proficient in Git version control, and you have experience working with Containerisation (Docker).
You will also need to have an understanding of the principles of Infrastructure as Code / Immutable Infrastructure.
From a personal perspective, we're looking for someone with a proactive attitude and learning style. If you like to absorb new tech in your own time, and if you're curious, questioning, and keen to engage with AWS / Cloud technologies, this role could be your ideal next step.
In your CV, why not link us to your Github repository and show off your skills / interests?
Our full job description lists the following skills - we'd like to find out more about your experience / interest in any of these areas:
What we offer
- Strong understanding of Containerisation (Docker) technology and immutable infrastructure backed by real-life experience running containers at scale
- Excellent background in Infrastructure as code including management and testing infrastructure deployments
- Solid experience in managing deplopyments at scale, an understanding of Blue/Green, Canary and Pathfinder approaches
- An excellent working knowledge of configuration management, provisioning and Orchestration tools such as Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt.
- Good understanding of cloud computing paradigm. Experience automated, repeatable real-life deployments to any of the major cloud providers ideal (e.g. AWS, Azure, Openstack),
- Knowledge of distributed systems, queuing technologies and the benefits & challenges they bring from a performance and availability perspective
- An appreciation of common development approaches (TDD, BDD, DbC)
- Working knowledge of version control (GIT) and CI workflows/tooling (Gitlab CI/Jenkins)
- A background in on premise IT environments i.e. operating systems, virtualisation, networking, applications, platforms and databases.
- An understanding of project & service delivery processes, development & testing methodologies and working to Change and Release managements practices.
- Demonstrable investigative and analysis capability.
We take the safety and wellbeing of our employees seriously, especially at this challenging time. We have put in place robust Covid19 measures and are supporting our new employees with a smooth onboarding and training programme and making you feel welcome and part of our team.
We’ll welcome you on-board with 25 days holiday (not to mention 8 bank holidays and an extra day for your birthday), a rewarding bonus scheme, healthcare, an attractive pension package, healthy gym discounts and a staff benefits scheme. Plus, our season ticket loan and handy Metro Card loan will save you money getting to work and getting around town. And if you see the journey to work as part of your fitness regime, you’ll just love our Cycle to Work scheme.
William Hill in Leeds
Right in the middle of the creative heart of the UK sit both of our Leeds offices. Leeds itself is a buzzy, busy place to work and live. A hub for tech, digital and gaming companies – there’s also five universities right on our doorstep. And away from work, we’re in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales and of course have got a competitive sports scene with Leeds United and Yorkshire Cricket and Rugby just up the road in Headingly.