We bet we can be a great match
Do you want to solve exciting problems in the fast-paced sports betting and gaming industry? Would you like to work in an engaging environment while creating highly reliable and low latency systems? Does working with modern cloud architecture, SRE, and DevOps sound exciting? Then welcome to William Hill.
Working with us, you'll be at the heart of the technological revolution of one of the world's most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from mobile Casinos to online Sportsbooks and everything in between. The software you write will process 500 online bets per second, accommodate 20 million users, and process 160 terabytes a day. You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
Your role in the team
As a Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for the technical delivery of the current and future stacks initiatives across the team. You will work with Architects and Engineering Leads to ensure the most suitable solutions are implemented, fully considering all potential impacts and effects. You'll work alongside peers to align and ensure component and platform commonality across the William Hill Group.
You will build, deliver, maintain and continuously improve our tech stacks, with the aim of providing capability to grow current markets and launch to potential new markets in a flexible and cost-effective manner.
With that comes a great amount of responsibility and the ability to influence change across a number of areas. You will be expected and trusted to lead and develop your teams, in order to meet our ambitious growth plan and technical goals, whilst being supported every step of the way. This is a great opportunity to drive significant impact as part of a strong leadership team.
You will be responsible for both Software Engineering and DevOps within your team. This requires both an engineering background as well as a solid understanding of DevOps best practices and principles. As Head of Engineering, you will build and lead a team of up to 50 people globally.
- Responsible for the technical delivery of the current and future stacks initiatives across the platform, working with senior stakeholders across the business
- Work with Heads of Technology, architects and engineering leads to align and ensure component and platform commonality across Group.
- Drive business outcomes, working with a range of senior stakeholders across CPTO and the International business
- Lead the engineering community of practice ensuring the highest quality standards are agreed, implemented and complied with.
- Mentor and develop the engineering teams, role model and practise William Hill values and leadership vitals
- You will be a highly professional technology leader with a considerable track record in software development (still able and happy to code)
- You'll have a background in complex digital transformation initiatives spanning disparate technologies, geographical regions, integrations with legacy, 3rd party and new development components.
- With considerable breadth and depth of technology experience, particularly within a digital environment, you'll be able to work at both a platform architecture level and in a hands-on, “roll your sleeves” up way.
- The ability to work in a matrix environment, balancing the priorities of a range of stakeholders.
- You will have been a practitioner within the last 2 years and have experience of:
– Any cloud platform
– CI/CD, DevOps, toolchain, GIT
– Shared contribution models and building libraries for use across enterprises
– Delivering change to legacy platforms, not just creating new ones
– Systems handling high numbers of transactions with low latency requirements
– Web scaling application architectures
- Results-driven with a passion for delivery and for driving successful technology solutions that support the business’s ambitious growth objectives.
- An innovative and resilient technologist, who is hungry to get involved in delivering impactful change to William Hill.
- Possessing a positive, confident and collaborative approach which engenders trust and confidence in tech peers across the engineering teams.
- Able to influence stakeholders, teams and peers across various geographical locations which requires curiosity, open mindset and high collaboration skills
- Regular travel will be required
What we offer
We take the safety and wellbeing of our employees seriously, especially at this challenging time. We have put in place robust Covid19 measures and are supporting our new employees with a smooth onboarding and training programme and making you feel welcome and part of our team.
- World class mentoring, career development opportunities, internal training and an individual development budget
- Mac OS or Windows hardware to choose from
- A great working atmosphere, in a collaborative team of amazing people, with forward thinking managers
- Competitive base salary and benefits, with fully paid private healthcare (Lux Med), fully paid Multisport pass, employee referral program, and an extra day off for your birthday.
- Meetups, quality questions events, hackathons, we love any chance to share knowledge and have fun.
- Flexible working practices
- Excellent city centre location with a tram stop right outside the office, and free parking spaces cars, motorcycles and bikes.
William Hill in Krakow
Our office sits on Kotlarska and our brilliant building has a range of different workspaces, hangouts and breakout areas to suit your every need. Situated in the centre of Krakow next to Vistula river – we're in the heart of one of the world’s most iconic cities.There are parks everywhere, you can enjoy a walk along Planty, or go to Kościuszko Mound to admire the city from above. With plenty of culture on your doorstep, you’ll be spoilt for choice. In fact, why not have a sneak peek around our office with Street View and see if you can picture yourself here.
**You will need to be able to access a William Hill office as part of this role - Leeds, London, Gibraltar or Krakow. We are unable to relocate internationally for this role**
#Join us behind the bet