Are you an influential leader who is an SME in your field, with deep technical expertise and a strong engineering background? Are you ready for an exciting new challenge and the chance to be a game changer?
Working with us, you'll be at the heart of the technological revolution of one of the world's most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from mobile Casinos to online Sportsbooks and everything in between. The software you write will process 500 online bets per second, accommodate 20 million users, and process 160 terabytes a day. You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
As an experienced and highly technical Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for the technical delivery of the current and future stacks initiatives across the team. You will work with Architects and Engineering Leads to ensure the most suitable solutions are implemented, fully considering all potential impacts and effects. You'll work alongside peers to align and ensure component and platform commonality across the William Hill Group.
You will build, deliver, maintain and continuously improve our tech stacks, with the aim of providing capability to grow current markets and launch to potential new markets in a flexible and cost-effective manner.
With that comes a great amount of responsibility and the ability to influence change across a number of areas. You will be expected and trusted to lead and develop your teams, in order to meet our ambitious growth plan and technical goals, whilst being supported every step of the way. This is a great opportunity to drive significant impact as part of a strong leadership team.
You will be responsible for both Software Engineering and DevOps within your team. This requires both an engineering background as well as a solid understanding of DevOps best practices and principles. As Head of Engineering, you will build and lead a team of up to 50 people globally.
- Responsible for the technical delivery of the current and future stacks initiatives across the platform, working with senior stakeholders across the business
- Work with Heads of Technology, architects and engineering leads to align and ensure component and platform commonality across Group.
- Drive business outcomes, working with a range of senior stakeholders across CPTO and the International business
- Lead the engineering community of practice ensuring the highest quality standards are agreed, implemented and complied with.
- Mentor and develop the engineering teams, role model and practise William Hill values and leadership vitals
We have some of the brightest minds in tech and you'll need to be at a level technically where you can share your depth and breadth of knowledge to both implement change and develop your teams. This is a hands-on role where you'll need to use your technical skills to drive the teams forward to achieve our ambitious goals.
- You will be a highly professional technology leader with a considerable track record in software development (still able and happy to code)
- You'll have a background in complex digital transformation initiatives spanning disparate technologies, geographical regions, integrations with legacy, 3rd party and new development components.
- With considerable breadth and depth of technology experience, particularly within a digital environment, you'll be able to work at both a platform architecture level and in a hands-on, “roll your sleeves” up way.
- The ability to work in a matrix environment, balancing the priorities of a range of stakeholders.
- You will have been a practitioner within the last 2 years and have experience of:
– Any cloud platform
– CI/CD, DevOps, toolchain, GIT
– Shared contribution models and building libraries for use across enterprises
– Delivering change to legacy platforms, not just creating new ones
– Systems handling high numbers of transactions with low latency requirements
– Web scaling application architectures
- Results-driven with a passion for delivery and for driving successful technology solutions that support the business’s ambitious growth objectives.
- An innovative and resilient technologist, who is hungry to get involved in delivering impactful change to William Hill.
- Possessing a positive, confident and collaborative approach which engenders trust and confidence in tech peers across the engineering teams.
- Able to influence stakeholders, teams and peers across various geographical locations which requires curiosity, open mindset and high collaboration skills
- Regular travel will be required
What we offer
We take the safety and wellbeing of our employees seriously, especially at this challenging time. We have put in place robust Covid19 measures and are supporting our new employees with a smooth onboarding and training programme and making you feel welcome and part of our team.
Once we are back in teh office, we will be offering a flexible working pattern to suit your lifestyle, with a mixture of home and office working.
We’ll welcome you on-board with 25 days holiday (not to mention 8 bank holidays and an extra day for your birthday), a rewarding bonus scheme, healthcare, an attractive pension package, healthy gym discounts and a staff benefits scheme. Plus, our season ticket loan and handy Metro Card loan will save you money getting to work and getting around town. And if you see the journey to work as part of your fitness regime, you’ll just love our Cycle to Work scheme.
William Hill in London
We couldn’t be closer to the action in our London office. A 2-minute walk from Tottenham Court Road station, round the corner from Soho and Oxford Street means you’ll never be short of anywhere to go for a lunchtime stroll or a post-work drink. There’s plenty of green space too with Regent’s Park and Hyde Park not far away at all. Working in our London office you’ll also benefit from a heavily discounted Zone 1 – 6 travel