The Public Affairs Department provides a full range of proactive communications functions to the Hong Kong Jockey Club including the formulation of communication strategy, issue management, racing and non-racing media relations; racing, betting, charity information and overall publicity; as well as organisation of corporate PR programmes and projects.
The Hong Kong Jockey Club is seeking to recruit a horseracing writer to expand its dedicated content team within its Racing Public Affairs editorial team. The exciting role will place the successful candidate at the heart of Hong Kong racing, with a remit to help share with the world the characters and narratives that make Hong Kong one of world horseracing’s most vibrant and successful circuits. The right candidate will be an excellent writer, a story-teller at ease writing for print or web and equally comfortable firing snappy, eye-catching Tweets. The team has responsibility for the Club’s racing-dedicated Twitter account, HKJC_Racing, with more than 150,000 followers, and the right individual will also have at least some of the digital media skills required to help move that coverage forward.
- plan and write sports-focused racing preview stories to highlight HKJC race days.
- work on rota to write sports-focused race reports from Happy Valley and Sha Tin Racecourses.
- utilise accomplished copy-editing and proof-reading skills.
- be professional and use sound judgement when conducting interviews with trainers, jockeys, owners and other Club personnel.
- prepare press releases for general racing-related matters as required.
- write racing-related feature articles as needed.
- work weekends, some evenings and public holidays during the Hong Kong racing season.
- post to the HKJC_Racing Twitter account during race-day and at other times as needed.
- shoot clean, simple video for social media.
- create simple yet eye-catching graphics for social media using Adobe suite.
- assist with data-compilation, provide written content, and proof read all HKJC racing Media Guides.
- ·occasionally prepare racing-related speeches.
- source and select pictures from HKJC photo archive.
- at least 5 years’ experience as a professional journalist or media writer.
- a good knowledge of horse racing including a sound grasp of the sport globally.
- a proven ability to tell a story with engaging clarity in both long form and short form.
- demonstrable experience writing for the web and print.
- excellent communication skills.
- excellent time management and organisation.
- a proven ability to produce standout work under pressure.
- knowledge of English grammar to the expected professional level.
- ability to adapt to and maintain house style.
- an enthusiastic and savvy social media user.
- a good team player.
- professional experience using a company social media account.
- experience writing in-house content.
- some knowledge of thoroughbred bloodstock.
- basic design skills using Adobe Photoshop.
- basic video editing skills.
Terms of Employment:
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualification and experience. A two-year contract of employment will be offered to the successful candidate, inclusive of an initial six-month probation
How to Apply:
Send at least four examples of your published articles including news, features in both print and online versions (word document, jpeg, or pdf if sent electronically) along with your resume, complete with job references to: