Senior Cloud and System Engineer (DevOps)
We bet we can be a great match
Do you want cool projects focused on online sports betting and gaming? Would you like to work on highly reliable systems with low latency, much like the transactional systems of the best financial institutions, but… with fun included? Would you like to work with some of the best Developers, QAs, DevOps Engineers and Project Managers in Krakow? Welcome to Grand Parade.
Working with us you’ll be at heart of the technological revolution of one the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from widgets, desktop or mobile casinos and betting sites… just to name a few. We process 500 online Sportsbook bets per second each Saturday, that’s the same as orders processed by Amazon UK, on its busiest day of the year. We deal with more than 20 million users and 160 terabytes of data daily. Impressed? You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
Your role will be a combination of coaching and leading a talented team of AWS cloud engineers and contributing hands-on yourself. With a high level of autonomy, you'll work closely with your cloud engineers, architects and Product Owners to make technical, tooling and design decisions and implementing them.
As part of your role, you'll be constantly working with other members of the Platform team and the broader engineering teams across the other company divisions on a shared Platform vision.
You will have help prioritise the needs of the Platform team, considering the business teams requirements while achieving the Sportsbook mission and technical vision.
You'll help your team to work together and bring out individual strengths. Using an agile approach, you'll put in place the structures you feel your team needs and communicate effectively. You'll play an active part in hiring, onboarding and growing your team to increase your capacity to take on bigger challenges.
You'll be a hands-on cloud engineer who can teach best practices within your team. You play a leading role in technical design, as well as project delivery, while helping the team with maintaining quality of delivery and you take personal ownership of the products the team ships.
You'll help the team focus on the needs of your customers (all development teams). By understanding those needs you'll help them determine which projects will be most impactful, and by defining project scope and delivery estimates, you'll help them prioritise and manage their work alongside Product.
You'll have regular one to ones with your team, helping your engineers to work through both technical and personal challenges. You'll help them to improve and develop over time, and to meet their personal objectives, including training plans, personal development plans and succession plans.
You'll work on making the existing services cloud-ready, while contributing to moving and re-platforming them to function natively within an AWS environment.
You will manage and improve the CI/CD pipelines and work alongside the development teams to automate the QA and release processes.
- Leadership of the team with a focus on delivery and team morale.
- Line management of the engineers in your team.
- Uphold software engineering standards & best practices and ensure we adhere to them.
- Design, implementation & documentation of solutions in collaboration with engineers and architects.
- Understanding strengths and weaknesses of your team.
- Support the strengthening of their skills through personal development plans.
- Regular 1-to-1 catch ups, objectives setting, probation assessment.
- Delegation of development tasks to the engineers.
- Planning & pre-planning sessions with PO, Architect.
- Translating non-technical and technical requirements to appropriate audiences.
- Driving the improvements in KPI's (code quality, defects, performance, security, resiliency).
- Responsible for the integrity of the software, ensuring technical debt is managed effectively (avoid creating it & remove it whenever there's opportunity).
- Taking responsibility for the product and your contributions to it. Reviewing code and providing constructive feedback.
- Responsible for CI/CD pipelines.
- Organizing & executing releases.
- Supporting production environment for products and services delivered by the team during office hours.
- Engagement in the recruitment activities.
Nice to have:
- 2+ years proven team leadership experience.
- Extensive hands-on experience with cloud providers and scalable infrastructure, an in particular with AWS (EKS, ALB, NLB, Lambda,...)
- Clear understanding of software development lifecycle, including proficiency of Agile delivery principles and practices such as Scrum or Kanban.
- Highly proficient on Kubernetes.
- 5+ years of professional development experience in platform team, delivering infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation, etc), in highly automated and scalable infrastructure with low latency and high availability.
- Experience in automated software testing through unit/functional/integration test suites as well as testing infrastructure as code.
- Clear understanding of cloud paradigms (IaaS, CaaS, PaaS, microservice architectures, CI/CD).
- Highly proficiency with CI/CD infrastructure and pipelines,
- Experience in DevOps activities, production support and production system in an enterprise.
- Extensive production experience with deployment and administration of containerised services.
- Excellent scripting skills, experience with configuration management systems.
- All traits of a good Developer and an experienced leader of people, such as: approachable, rational & respectful, commitment and ability for being a role model for the team members, leading by sample, as well as having the ability to step outside of your comfort zone.
- Creative approach to problem solving while keeping solutions as simple as possible.
- Analytical approach and mindset.
- Critical attention to detail, thoroughness and documentation.
- Excellent organisational skills, and oral and written communication skills and comfortable with many levels of stakeholders in your daily work skills. Good communication and people skills, in a technical or non-technical context.
- Providing rotational on call support.
- Professional and discrete with managerial matters.
- BSC degree or equivalent experience.
- You love working with and learning new technologies and architectures.
- Knowledge high availability scenarios.
- A strong drive and the ability to see through tasks and projects to the end.
- Flexible approach and not afraid to propose and to implement changes.
- Certifications such as AWS, Kubernetes.
What we offer
William Hill in Krakow
- Development opportunities, including IT conferences, internal training, lunch and learn sessions and an individual development budget.
- Complex work and the chance to make an impact.
- Mac OS or Windows hardware to choose from.
- Some opportunities for International travel to our offices in London, Leeds, Stockholm, Malta and Gibraltar (our office is 5 minutes away from the beach).
- New modern, bright and comfortable office space, with a great working atmosphere, in a collaborative team of amazing people, with forward thinking managers.
- Competitive base salary and benefits, with fully paid private healthcare (Enel-Med), filly paid Multisport pass, employee referral program, and an extra day off for your birthday.
- Garden roof terrace, with incredible views of the city, and fresh fruit in the office.
- Well stocked kitchens with fruit tea, honey and lemon, foamy coffee machine, vending machine with healthy food and salad.
- Chill out room and gaming room with VR, PS4, FIFA, foosball table, billiards, table tennis, football league, board games, competitions with cool prizes.
- Meetups, quality questions events, hackathons, we love any chance to share knowledge and have fun.
- We don’t like our colleagues to go hungry or thirsty, so events are always well catered.
- Family fun days, charity events (ask us about our scooter racing), company parties and social activities.
- Flexible working practices
- Excellent city centre location with a tram stop right outside the office, and free parking spaces cars, motorcycles and bikes.
- Relocation costs support for rent and travel, and VISA support. Colleagues from all round the world including Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia, Brazil, Romania, Ireland, Israel, India, Portugal, United Kingdom, and Libya.
Our office sits on Kotlarska and our brilliant building has a range of different workspaces, hangouts and breakout areas to suit your every need. Situated in the centre of Krakow next to Vistula river – we're in the heart of one of the world’s most iconic cities.There are parks everywhere, you can enjoy a walk along Planty, or go to Kościuszko Mound to admire the city from above. With plenty of culture on your doorstep, you’ll be spoilt for choice. In fact, why not have a sneak peek around our office with Street View and see if you can picture yourself here.