We bet we can be a great match
Do you want to work on cutting edge projects focused on online sports betting?? Would you like to work with some of the best Developers, QAs, DevOps Engineers and Project Managers in Gibraltar?
Working with us you’ll be at heart of the technological revolution of one the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from widgets, desktop or mobile betting sites… just to name a few. We process thousands of online Sportsbook bets per second each Saturday, that’s the same as orders processed by Amazon UK, on its busiest day of the year. We deal with more than 20 million users and 160 terabytes of data daily. Impressed? You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
As a Senior DevOps Engineer based in Gibraltar, you will work with and support the leadership of a talented team of AWS Cloud Engineers, whilst taking a hands-on approach yourself. With a high level of autonomy, you'll work closely with Cloud Engineers, Architects and Product Owners across our globally dispersed teams, to make technical, tooling and design decisions and implement solutions.
You'll collaborate with other members of the Platform team and the broader engineering teams across our business to deliver a shared Platform vision. Your role will be to prioritise the needs of the Platform team, considering the business teams requirements, while achieving the Sportsbook mission and technical vision.
Using your leadership skills, you will coach and motivate the team to work together and bring out individual strengths. Using an agile approach, you'll put in place sound team structures and communicate effectively. You'll play an active part in hiring, onboarding and growing the team to increase our capacity to take on bigger challenges.
You'll be a hands-on DevOps engineer and will use your knowledge and experience to share best practice. You'll play a leading role in technical design, as well as project delivery and will support the team to maintain quality of delivery and service.
You’ll forge strong relationships with William Hill Technology, business colleagues and key stakeholders. Aligning, communicating and planning infrastructure initiatives in partnership with senior management, peers and Project Management, you’ll work effectively as part of a highly technical and talented William Hill Delivery Team.
The team operate an on call rota and the Senior DevOps Engineer will be a part of the resource required to support out of hours.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the leadership of the wider team with a focus on delivery, team morale and effective resourcing of work and projects
- Close management of stakeholders across dispersed business areas - translating non-technical and technical requirements to appropriate audiences
- Uphold software engineering standards & best practices and ensure we adhere to them
- Design, implementation & documentation of solutions in collaboration with engineers and architects
- Planning & pre-planning sessions with PO, Architects etc
- Driving the improvements in KPI's (code quality, defects, performance, security, resiliency)
- Responsible for the integrity of the software, ensuring technical debt is managed effectively (avoid creating it & remove it whenever there's opportunity)
- Taking responsibility for the product and your contributions to it. Reviewing code and providing constructive feedback
- Responsible for CI/CD pipelines
- Organising & executing releases
- Supporting production environment for products and services delivered by the team during office hours
- Engagement in recruitment activities when required
- 2+ years proven team leadership experience . A strong developer and an experienced leader of people - a role model for the team with the ability to work with remote and dispersed teams across an organisation
- Extensive hands-on experience with cloud providers and scalable infrastructure, an in particular with AWS (EKS, ALB, NLB, Lambda,...) and a passion for working with and learning new technologies and architectures
- Clear understanding of software development lifecycle, including proficiency of Agile delivery principles and practices such as Scrum or Kanban
- Highly proficient on Kubernetes
- 5+ years of professional development experience in platform team, delivering infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation, etc), in highly automated and scalable infrastructure with low latency and high availability
- Experience in automated software testing through unit/functional/integration test suites as well as testing infrastructure as code
- Clear understanding of cloud paradigms (IaaS, CaaS, PaaS, microservice architectures, CI/CD)
- Highly proficient with CI/CD infrastructure and pipelines
- Experience in DevOps activities, production support and production system in an enterprise
- Extensive production experience with deployment and administration of containerised services
- Excellent scripting skills, experience with configuration management systems
- Knowledge of high availability scenarios
- BSC degree or equivalent experience
- Creative approach to problem solving, able to keep solutions as simple as possible
- Analytical approach and mindset with critical attention to detail, thoroughness and documentation
- Excellent organisational skills with a strong drive and ability to see tasks and projects through to completion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, able to interact and build collaborative relationships with stakeholders, able to translate technical information to non-technical colleagues
- Flexible approach and not afraid to propose and implement change
- Able to provide rotational on call support.
- Certifications such as AWS, Kubernetes.
What we offer
Your 25 days holiday is topped up by 12 bank holidays and we offer you a generous pension, Healthcare and Life Assurance as standard. Gym discounts, and our office sports and social committee activities could be right up your street. We’ve got an excellent relocation package to support you should you make the move; English is the local language but we can help you and your family with Spanish lessons.
William Hill in Gibraltar
With an average yearly temperature of 25 degrees, this Mediterranean climate has plenty to offer both inside and outside of work. And that includes scaling the impressive Rock of Gibraltar or taking a dip a one of the 6 great beach spots. And with such easy access to Spain, Morocco and Portugal, you can take your pick when it comes to where you spend your weekend.